Skip to content


March 13, 2011

First things first – WE MADE IT!! Woot woot!

Ok, now that that’s out of my system, let me back up a touch. πŸ™‚ Sorry, can’t really stop smiling. Even while grimacing. πŸ™‚ See?

Saturday: Woke up LATE. This was the only day this week I was going to get to sleep in. And you all KNOW I was going to take advantage of it. I do NOT do mornings willingly.

After a wonderful brekkie of pancakes, eggs, and bacon (is it still breakfast if it’s after noon? Oh well :)) we set off for the packet pick up. The DP (devoted photographer) drove, and I irritated him by talking in to his one good ear. Ear infection + talky wife apparently = headache. 😦 Anywho, we got down kinda close to the Oregon Convention Center, where the pick up would take place, and DP let me jump out at a red light. It worked perfectly. No parking, no waiting in long lines of traffic, and one happy runner!

After getting a men’s medium tee instead of a women’s large (oops! who knew that had w’s sizes??) I catapulted (literally, puddles were involved) back in to the car and we took off. Around this time I was texting Heather to see how her pre-run day was going. She was kind enough to offer me a ride! We live pretty close, and that meant DP didn’t have to get up uber-early to take me to the starting line, then stand around with all the other running-widow(er)s waiting for me to finish. I think he said yes to the idea before I did. πŸ™‚ Thanks again Heather! I owe you one!

As we left the packet pick-up we made for the Portland Running Co. where I picked up a hat and some sleeves to help keep me warm the next day. Word on the street was to be prepared for gusts and a downpour, so I wanted to be prepared. While I was shopping the sale racks, DP took off for Next Adventure (a climbing/hiking store here in PDX) to do some shopping of his own. He is climbing St. Helen’s in about a month, and needed a bit of gear for the trek. I can’t wait to hear all about it!

We drove home, and I started getting ready. I worked on my playlist for about an hour. I am so glad I did! It worked out beautifully! Then I set out my gear. Both my new items were in green for the occasion! Check it out:

Gear all ready to go

New Zensah Calf sleeves, and new brooks running hat. Hooray for 25% off at Portland Running Co.!

For dinner was 2 slices of Pizza, then off to *try*Β  to sleep. Ha. All I have to say is hooray for Nyquil. At least I got about 5.5 hours in! I set my alarm for 5, realizing that I needed to think about the time skipping ahead an hour. I was supposed to be at Heather’s at 6:30, so I figured I would have plenty of time. I drifted off to sleep….

“Whine. Whiiiiiiine. Whine, whine. Paw. Pawhine….”

“Go away dog, I need to sleep some more”


“FINE!” I get up to let out the whiner, then look at the clock to see how much sleep he robbed me of. “CRAP! 5:28???” (actually 6:28) “CRAP CRAP CRAP!” I shoved both dogs outside to do their business, flew upstairs to throw on my clothes (thank goodness I laid them out!) and then put the dogs in their crates and scampered out the door. After getting lost (just a little) I was at Heather’s place by 6:35 car time. My house has 3 different time zones. Some are too slow, some too fast.

I got to meet Kent, we jumped in the car, and then we were off. After picking up one more runner (Jody!) we found a spot to park and started the jacket/gloves debate. “Do we, don’t we?” In the end, I left the jacket, Heather took the gloves. πŸ™‚ In case you were curious. πŸ™‚

And we walked off to the starting line. At this point it was raining about as hard as it was going to all day. Big, fat drops as we stood in line to use the port-a-johns. After that we were able to escape underneath the bridge, so we weren’t bothered too much. We lined up in the 10 minute or more area (which was still, thankfully, under the bridge :)) And about 15 minutes past our start time, we were off! I spent the first 1/2 mile trying to find my friends! 😦 We got separated at the start. I found Kent, and accidentally tugged his ear bud out trying to tap him on the shoulder. Ooops! He is what you call McSpeedy, so he was off without looking back. I finally saw my friends, and we were off chatting like we were in a coffee shop. Only a moving one. We did NOT get stuck behind the train! Yay!

This race took us all the way south on Broadway, and then up Terwilliger Hill. We cruised right along until the first water stop, about 2.75 miles in. We decided to stop for water, and I Gu’ed up. Jody and Heather got in line for the Port-a-johns. At that point in time, I pulled a runner no-no. I left them there. 😦 Sorry friends! I had it in my head that I wanted to get in under 2 hours, and I couldn’t do that waiting for 50 other people to use 2 toilets. So off I went.

Up the hill. And then down. Then up. Than down. The good news is I ran *almost* the whole way. I felt strong, happy and in charge. Take THAT Terwilliger!

After about 4 miles (not kidding) of ups and down, we leveled out back on Barbur. We paralleled I5, and I just cruised. I had good tunes, water (not in my camelbak, but that’s a different story) and a steady downhill grade. πŸ˜€

The rest of the race passed by in a haze of mile markers, rain droplets (it sprinkled the whole time) and wonderful, high-five’in volunteers. I love the little ones. πŸ™‚ They get so excited when you slap their hand!!

I had timed my playlist to hit “We are the Champions” by Queen at the 2 hour mark. I beat it. πŸ™‚ I had 5 songs left on my playlist!!

Seein’ DP at the finish line gave me the extra burst of energy I needed to sprint across that sucker. 15k, you are MINE! HA!

My official times:

Gun time: 2:03:10

Net time: 1:51:07

Pace: 11:55

I MADE IT!! Under 2 hours baby!! OH YEAH!

I kind of redeemed myself for leaving my friends by being able to photo them crossing the finish line:


Happy face!











You did it Jody!









A HUGE thank you goes out to EVERYONE at Pdx’s Shamrock run!

Hope to see you again next year!

3 Comments leave one →
  1. March 14, 2011 8:31 am

    OMG…I look deranged in that picture! lmao That is the funniest thing ever. I have a picture of ME taking a picture of YOU taking a picture of ME. It was an artistic statement of some sort. πŸ™‚

    YAY for making your goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did it!!!!!!!! So, what’s the NEXT goal?

  2. March 30, 2011 8:24 am

    Okay seriously – we had to have crossed within moments of each other! I’m not sure on my gun time, but my net was 1:51! I guess maybe I was a hair ahead – only because I didn’t line up under the bridge and started up a little teeny bit closer? I don’t know! I’ll have to look at my pictures now and see if you are in any of them!

    I started off in a coat -but happily my cheering section was watching and about a mile or less in I was able to ditch the coat and just in my tank top and arm sleeves. I guess after a while of being wet you just don’t even notice anymore.

    What a course!! Congrats on beating your 2 hour mark!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: